Thursday 25 August 2011

Bake a cake bake a cake bake me a birthday cake

So it miss diva's birthday in a few weeks, which means that I need cake ideas as to what cake I'm going to make for her special day.
Ok a bit of background.

Over the last few years I have taken a liking to baking and have made the last two birthday cakes for the kids birthday parties. I am getting quite good at it, or at least better each time.
This was my first attempt at baking a birthday cake this is the princess cake I made for miss diva's 1st birthday party and i was sooooooo proud of it that I didn't even want it to be cut so much so that I was nearly in tears, (no lie, I was close to tears!)




The cake had 3 different layers with a butter cream and jam filling, covered in a pink coloured fondant which I also made from scratch for the 1st time as well. It tasted as good as it looked. (a cake is for life not just for birthdays. lmao)






The second birthday cake I attempted was for lil' mans 3rd birthday. 




It was a Mickey mouse clubhouse cake, which took me a week to prep making all the different coloured fondants and creating all the bits that were not made out of cake.

The base of the cake was a vanilla drench cake and the clubhouse (the red bit) was a red velvet cake. yummm!

The head was made out of 2 semicircle paper mache molds, I paper mached the inside of a stainless steel bowl then stuck them together and covered the whole thing in paper machie. I then crumb coated it then covered it with the black fondant.

The boot was made out of a finished roll of sellotape folded in half then stuffed with news paper to create the roundness and a finished loo roll to make the leg all covered in paper mache then fondant.

To do the ears I just moulded cooking foil into circles and covered them in fondant and stuck a few tooth picks in them so they would stay on the head.
 
All the trees and paving stones were made out of fondant, these needed a few days to dry out and become hard.
 
 


This one didnt turn out as well as I would have liked although it turned out really good and everyone was impressed, I still think it could have been a bit better, simply for the fact that the fondat had cracked a bit, which I couldnt do much about as our flat is very warm and dried out the fondant to much.
 
After doing this cake I can now see why cake makers charge so much for special cakes as it is a lot of hard work and time consuming but all soooooo worth it to see the end result of all your hard work and everyones impressed faces.
 
Soooo now it miss diva's 2nd birthday and I need a new idea for her cake...
 
Any suggestions for party ideas or cake ideas would be great.